Visitor Services Assistant
Reports to: Visitor Services Coordinator
Type: Seasonal, hourly position (works on-site)
Employment Period: April – September, Weekends and Evenings Required
The Center for Wooden Boats (CWB) is a 501c3 nonprofit organization located in Seattle, WA. CWB is a national leader in hands-on maritime education, providing a gathering place where visitors can experience maritime history and small craft heritage directly, through sailing classes, maritime skills workshops, field trips, boat rentals and more. CWB serves over 100,000 visitors every year at its locations at the south end of Lake Union in downtown Seattle, at the north end of Lake Union near Gas Works Park and at Cama Beach State Park on Camano Island.
The Visitor Services Assistant supports CWB by staffing the South Lake Union campus front desk, answering phone calls and visitor questions, facilitating retail sales, and completing various administrative tasks. The Visitor Services Assistant is often the first representative of The Center for Wooden Boats our visitors meet. Therefore, providing professional, friendly and informative assistance should be regarded as one of the most important duties of the position.
Visitor Services (80%):
- Perform opening and/or closing duties, depending on scheduled shifts.
- Greet visitors and answer questions about our organization and programming.
- Answer and direct phone calls to appropriate staff.
- Take payment for merchandise and other items, and facilitate returns and exchanges.
- Support visitor services volunteers by being available to perform Front Desk duties.
- Ensure rack cards, gift shop merchandise and bathroom supplies are properly stocked.
- Maintain clean and safe visitor environment, including maintenance of bathrooms, kitchen and gallery, gift shop and garbage. Oversee clean-up crew volunteers when available.
Program Assistance (20%):
- Answer questions for programs in person, over phone and through email – youth and adult programs, registrations, rescheduling & cancellations.
- Prepare Boathouse for private event rentals.
- Assist Sunday Public Sail staff with program signups and crowd control.
- Other administrative tasks as assigned.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated success in customer service roles
- Experience and interest in working with people from many backgrounds
- Experience working with volunteers preferred
- Experience with Microsoft Office
- Comfortable handling a wide variety of questions with a fast-paced, public-facing role
- Ability to work autonomously as well as part of a team
- Flawless reliability
TO APPLY: Email resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Position open until filled. The Center for Wooden Boats is an equal opportunity employer.