NMTA “Grow Boating” Grant Launches Katy

We’ve launched another boat from our Boatshop!

Katy was built in 1950 by the Thornquist Marine Works, right here on Lake Union. She’s a 15’ lapstrake construction, originally used as a yacht tender for the M/Y Blue Peter, and currently runs on a two-cylinder diesel engine from the Netherlands. In 1992, she joined the CWB collection by way of a donation from James G. McCurdy, whose family named her.

Over the last six weeks, Katy has been hauled out for mostly cosmetic maintenance. A volunteer team led by Boatshop Assistant, Cory Thompson, started by stripping her planks down to bare wood. They then repaired a bench, tuned up the engine, applied new paint and varnish, and added new hardware.

The splash took place on Tuesday at noon, where volunteers and visitors watched the team lower her back into the water. She looks beautiful, and we’re happy to announce that she’ll be featured in upcoming Sunday Public Sails! (Stay tuned for dates.)

This project was funded by a grant awarded to us by the Northwest Marine Trade Association (NMTA), as a part of their Grow Boating program. This program “aims to assist non-profit groups or organizations that help serve NMTA’s core purpose – increasing the number of boaters in the Northwest, and encouraging boaters to boat more often.” We’re more than happy to participate, and want to give a big THANK YOU to NMTA for making Katy’s transition into public use possible!

header_logo

Print this pageShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on FacebookEmail this to someone

/ / / / / / / /

Leave a Reply